Monday, October 18, 2010

Monochrome: 15

“It’s been longer, actually,” Kieran said. He was sitting at the counter with a glass of water. Devlin was making food.

“I don’t have any sense of time. Every day feels the same. It seems slower, now.”

“Well, you did lose your job. That‘s a large part of your day, gone.”

“I think it’s more than that,” he said. He sighed, and, taking a drink, added, “This is just stupid.”

“What do you mean?”

“Half the time I can’t get to sleep unless I exhaust myself to the point where I can’t dream anymore. Because if I do, he’s there. I can’t deal with that. And… when I’m around him… I feel weak. Useless. It’s stupid. I felt better before any of this happened,” Kieran ranted.

“Were you really that much better?” Devlin asked, doubting.

“…no, I guess not.”

“Why are you so against it, anyways?”

“It’s not right?”

“That’s not it.”

“It doesn’t make sense.”

“It’s true, you don’t understand it, but… that’s not it,” she told him.

“Because it scares me. Because I can’t control it. Because I don’t know what’s going to happen.”

“And?”

“Because… I don’t know,” Kieran said, groaning. He laid his head down on the table. “Like I said, this is stupid.”

“You’ve got such a bad vocabulary.”

No comments: