Thursday, October 14, 2010

Monochrome: 13

Finn began to make more attempts to talk to Kieran over the next few days. Results were, at best, slow; Kieran was carefully making his way out of his shell. On the sixth, Liadan Grey was back. She was the landlady, and Finn thought it might be a good idea to try talking to her about Kieran.

He opened the door to the apartments and headed inside, taking off his scarf. Liadan lived on the first floor, so he approached her door and knocked. She answered almost immediately.

“Hi, Finn!” she greeted, cheerfully.

“Hey, can I talk to you for a moment?” Finn asked.

“Yeah, sure, come on in!”

Finn entered her apartment and was soon overwhelmed by the scent of flowers. He was a bit surprised, as he never really saw Liadan as the feminine sort. As they walked to the kitchen, the smell was replaced with tea.

“Do you want some?” Liadan offered.

“Sure,” Finn replied.

He took a seat at the table. It was small and quaint, all wood. Flowering patterns adorned the edge. It seemed a bit old.

“So, what‘s up?” she asked as she set down Finn’s cup.

“What can you tell me about Kieran Sullivan?”

“Huh? Sullivan?” Liadan asked, surprised. “I thought you two hated each other.”

“Well, it’s true that we didn’t get along before you left… but, not long after, we talked. And, I’m trying to be friends with him, now.”

“That’s brave of you,” she said, “That, or foolish.”

“Maybe. Perhaps both.”

Liadan stopped to think.

“You’ve only been here a year, right… alright. What do you want to know?”

“Anything, I suppose. Whatever would help.”

“I assume you’ve become a bit familiar with his personality, by now.”

“Yeah, he’s kind of… difficult.”

“I’d say that’s the least of it. From what I gather, he’s probably been like this for years. Very negative. Drinks a lot. He tried to kill himself, once.”

“Are you serious…?” Finn asked, concerned.

“Yeah. I was the one that found him. …you know, I probably shouldn’t be telling you about this.”

“I… won’t mention it to him,” Finn said, staring at the table.

“I have a feeling it wasn’t the first time. He seemed completely unfazed by it. That’s the scary part,” Liadan said, looking out the window.

“…what else can you tell me?” Finn asked, after a moment of thought.

“Well, I don’t think he really has any friends or family. He never has anyone over, or goes to see anyone, as far as I can tell. Oh, but, there is this girl, I think it’s his cousin. She visits him, sometimes. But… not that often. I think her name was Devlin.”

“I see…” Finn said, thinking. She could be another person to ask about Kieran.

“Oh! I think his birthday’s in a few days. I know it’s like, mid-January. Can’t remember the day, though,” she said, perking up. “Capricorn... not a surprising sign, for him.”

“Ah, alright. Thanks for your time,” Finn said, getting out of his seat.

“Aww, you’re just gonna leave?”

“Err, yeah, I have some things I have to do.”

“Alright. Well, you should come over sometime!” she suggested.

“Yeah, I’ll keep that in mind!”

“Seeya!”

No comments: