Monday, October 11, 2010

Monochrome: 10

It was two days after Christmas. Kieran had spent the day alone, while Finn and Bee went out. Finn had tried inviting Kieran to join them, but he was met with protest. He said he ‘wasn’t up to it’, and he had no place being there.

Finn was disappointed in this response, as was Bee (who encouraged Finn’s attempts to befriend Kieran). At her suggestion, Finn bought some paintbrushes for Kieran while they were out. The two had spent the next day together, as well.

It was after work, and Finn was walking home. He dialed Kieran’s number and waited for the ring.

“Yeah? Err, hello?” Kieran answered, correcting himself.

“Hey, what are you up to?”

“Nothing really, just painting.”

“I just got out of work; got something for you. I’m gonna stop by in a bit.”

“Eh? Alright.”

“Seeya.”

“Yeah.”


Finn rang the buzzer to Kieran’s apartment. A moment later, Kieran answered the door.

“Hey,” he greeted.

“Hi,” Finn responded. “Err, are you alright?”

“Huh?”

“You look kind of… not too good?”

“Oh, I haven’t slept in a few days.”

“A few days?” Finn asked, puzzled.

“Yeah.”

“Are you serious?”

“…yeah.”

“Jesus Christ, Kieran.”

“Hey, I’m not doing it for fun,” Kieran said, turning in to his apartment.

Finn followed him, still a bit baffled. He looked around. This was the first time Finn had been in Kieran’s apartment since the night he lost his job.

“Hey, did you find a new job, yet?”

“No… this time of the year, there’s always a rush for jobs.”

“Ah…” Finn trailed off. He was starting to wonder if Kieran was going to be able to keep his apartment.

“You said you were coming over here for something?” Kieran asked.

“Oh, yeah,” Finn acknowledged as he reached into his bag.

“Here.”

Kieran took the plastic bag from Finn’s hand and opened it. He pulled out the paintbrushes.

“…thanks,” Kieran said, staring at them. “…I don’t have anything for you.”

“Oh, that’s alright. Maybe you could paint me something?” Finn suggested.

“Sure,” Kieran said. He looked over the brushes.

“These must have been expensive.”

“Well, I wanted to get some good brushes.”

“Yeah.”

Kieran walked to the counter and placed the brushes down.

“Hey, I know things didn’t work out so well last time… but, my friends and I are hanging out again, New Year’s Eve. Do you want to come along?”

“It’s better if I don’t.”

“I can get Gavin to lay off.”

“It’s alright. You don’t have to do this. Why are you trying so hard, anyways?”

“Because we’re friends?”

“That was a fast decision.”

“You don’t want to be friends?”

“No, I’m just… surprised.”

“I think I am, too.”

“Heh, well, I think I’m going to have to decline.”

“…alright. But, we’ll hang out sometime?”

“Sure.”

No comments: