Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Monochrome: 23

Kieran found himself stalking down the sidewalk, yet again. The same routine, peering in windows and stopping in stores and businesses in search of a job. Today, he focused on another block. He hadn’t been this way in his search before, but it wasn’t proving to fare much better. As he stared through the window of a book store, he stopped. Slowly, he realized he saw Finn at the counter. Finn noticed him, and signaled for him to come in.

“Hey. This is where you work?” Kieran asked, approaching the counter.

“Yeah! It’s great, isn’t it?”

“Certainly is… a bit old,” he said. The floors creaked as the customers walked around, and the wooden columns looked worn out. The smell of wood was second only to the smell of paper and ink.

“Yeah. I like it. It’s comfortable,” Finn said. “Hang on a second.”

He turned and headed for a door behind the counter.

“I’m going to take my lunch break, is that alright?”

“Go ahead,” a voice answered back. An older man came out of the room, putting on his glasses. Finn walked out from behind the counter.

“Let’s go!” Finn said.

“What? You can just take a break like that?”

“Yeah. He’s fine with it!” Finn said, smiling at the old man. They left the store.

“So, let’s get some lunch.”

“You know I can’t afford that right now.”

“Yeah, so, I’m going to buy for you.”

“What?” Kieran said. “You don’t have to do that.”

“Well, I will. So, you’re going to have to just deal with it!” Finn said, smiling again.

This guy sure smiles a lot.


“So, what are you up to?” Finn asked. He sat with a cup of coffee and a salad.

“Or, were, I guess.”

“I was looking for a job around here,” Kieran said.

“Oh, yeah, have you had any luck?”

“No… I thought I almost found a place that was hiring, but they just got someone. I just barely missed it,” Kieran said, sighing.

“That sucks… I’ve been trying to look out for somewhere that’s hiring, too. When I can. Oh! You know, we could probably look online to see if anyone’s hiring,” Finn said, taking a sip of his coffee.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, there are websites where people post help wanted ads. We could look on there.”

“I don’t have a computer.”

“What?” Finn said, a look of disbelief on his face.

“I can’t afford it.”

“Well, yeah, especially not now… I’m just surprised. You know how to use one, right?” Finn asked.

“Sorta… I only really used them in college,” Kieran explained.

“That’s so weird… well, we can use my laptop. Come over later, after work, and I’ll help you out with that.”

“Alright. Thanks.”

“Hey, it’s no problem. I wouldn’t want you to lose your apartment.”

No comments: